Monday, January 5, 2015

Rubbish Tuesday #33

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I finally shook my malady. I should have gone to the doc, but I'm one of 'those' people. I'm pretty sure it was bronchitis. 

These pics are courtesy of Sonny Boy. 

The first Pensacola Light was the lightship Aurora Borealis. It was moved to Pensacola in 1823 from its previous post at the mouth of the Mississippi River after a lighthouse had been completed there. Because of frequent rough seas, the lightship had to be anchored inside the bay entrance, behind Santa Rosa Island, and could not reliably be seen from ships outside the bay.

In 1825 a 40-foot (12 m) tower was built on a 40-foot (12 m) bluff at the south entrance to Pensacola Bay. This light was also partially obscured by trees close to the tower and on Santa Rosa Island. In 1858 a new tower was built on the north side of the bay entrance, and was lit on January 1, 1859. The new, and current, tower is 150 feet (46 m) tall, and also sits on a 40-foot (12 m) bluff located on the Pensacola Naval Air Station, placing the light 190 feet (58 m) above sea level.

~wikipedia



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will join in the fun.

My idea was to have a place to post 'old things'. Anything old
and/or deteriorating such as, but not limited to, old houses, barns, outbuildings, old cars, rusty things, antiques, interesting junk, or it can be something in pristine condition, but just old. 

 
1. Link to a post featuring photos of something old.
2. Link back to Rubbish by Roan in your post.
3. As time allows, visit other participants and comment on their posts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22 comments:

Tom said...

"Hallelujah" you're BACK! Tom The Backroads Traveller

TexWisGirl said...

sorry you were not feeling well for a long time! hoping you're no longer feeling like 'rubbish'. ;)

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Mascha said...

What a famous lighthouse!
Happy new year and better health -

Karen said...

So glad you're feeling better. I'm joining in for the 1st time. Thanks for providing this venue. Enjoyed reading about the Pensacola lighthouse, too.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Love the lighthouse. Glad you are feeling better!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, it is tall! Is it on all night long? Or all the time? So glad you are finally better!

betty-NZ said...

Awesome shots! I never knew there was such a thing as a lightship--the things I learn.

betty-NZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Kay said...

Great photo of the lighthouse. My hubby seeks out lighthouses wherever we travel, and also has some awesome pictures.

Maude Lynn said...

Awesome shots! Glad you're feeling better!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Love lighthouses!

21 Wits said...

Quite lovely!

Stephanie said...

Good to see you back! Love the lighthouse.

photodoug said...

Glad to see you are up and about. Happy New Year. Thanks for sharing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Roan, I am glad you are feeling better.. I love the lighthouse shots.. Have a happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and so glad you are feeling better! I used to collect lighthouses.. these are some cool clicks!

A Colorful World said...

Love your post! We used to live in Mary Esther not far from there, and enjoyed our time on the pristine white beaches and seeing lovely Pensacola with its moss-draped trees. Great place. Wonderful lighthouse, too...reminds me that I need to do some more digging in my archives for more older things to post. I even have a lighthouse or two! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and new years! Thank you for coming by the book club blog and commenting on my review! I hope you'll join us when you can with reviews as well!

Jenn Jilks said...

You poor thing! It's awful. I know a number of people who've had terrible flu all 'holiday.'

Good to 'see' you again!
Happy New Year. It's a new one!

Brian King said...

I love lighthouses! It's one of the things I miss living in Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots. Glad you're feeling better!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm so sorry you were ill and hope you stay better!

We stayed near Pensacola one winter and really loved the area. But (and I am ducking for cover as I say this) it was not warm enough for us. Your son (I assume) takes beautiful pictures.

Thank you for hosting; I am going to try to link more often.

Take care; stay well.