Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sunrise and Hodgepodge



Linking to Rurality

1. We celebrate Veteran's Day in the US of A on November 11th. When did you last interact with a member of the armed forces (either currently serving or retired)? Have you ever written a letter to a soldier, bought a meal or coffee for a solider, said an unprompted thank you to a soldier you encountered out and about somewhere? If you're not in the US, comment on a similar holiday in your own country.

I do write letters to soldiers during the Christmas season. I saw one of my relatives yesterday and thanked him for his service. I see my husband every day. My father's brother was killed in France the day after the Normandy invasion. We are a family filled with veterans.

2. You can have fifty pounds of anything at all (except money)...what would you choose?


A black or chocolate lab.

3. When did you last receive an invitation in the 'real' mail? What was it for and did you attend? When it comes to RSVP-ing, are you an 'early responder' or a 'last minute, barely-under-the-wire' kind of guest?


Last year. It was an invitation to graduation. I'm always early responding. I know what it's like waiting for those last minute people. 

4. What's something you really don't like to waste?


Toothpaste. Must squeeze that tube until the very last drop is used.

5. Cheers, Friends, MASH, Seinfeld...of the ones listed, your favorite long-running sitcom?


Friends. I didn't watch any of the others. I know. I know. Unamerican! 

6. What decision are you glad you made?


After Willie crossed the rainbow bridge, we decided not to get another dog. And then we changed our minds. Thus Fergus.

7. In this month of 'Thanksgiving' what is one thing that's different today than it was a year ago that you're grateful for?


There hasn't been much change in our lives since last year, so I'm going to say I'm grateful we are all still healthy.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Okay, so much about dogs in this post. But Saturday, that would be three days away, we are getting Findley. Findley and Fergus have the same mother, but different fathers. Fergus lost his dad before he was born. Findley's dad is of unknown origin. Seems Mom, a Border Collie, had a one night stand. They think the perpetrator was a wire haired terrior. I haven't seen Findley, but I hear he has a beard and mustache. I can't wait to meet him. Yes, I'm getting him sight unseen. We do know he is black and white like Fergus.

Linking to Wednesday Hodgepodge

18 comments:

Joyce said...

Enjoy your new pup! I like their names : ) Your header photo is gorgeous!

Linda Kay said...

Enjoyed your hodge podge comments. Good luck with your new puppy, I'm sure you will love him/her immediately. I'm a toothpaste squeezer also, good to the last drop!

April said...

If I could, I'd have a houseful of puppies. I'm a huge dog lover! Went to a Pet Expo over the weekend and saw a Great Dane that was 12 mos. old and weighed 170 lbs. Can you imagine?! Have fun with your new doggie!

21 Wits said...

Happy days with your new puppy! Enjoy. Lovely photo too.

Lois said...

Spectacular sunrise! Love the names of your dogs.

A Colorful World said...

Delightful hodgepodge. I say thank you to every uniformed person (and old vet wearing a hat which gives him away) that I see. We get to the V.A. at least once every couple of months and I love seeing the old WWII vets and the Korean war vets. They have all, young and old, blessed us in ways that one can't express!

Love the mention of thinking you wouldn't get another dog after you lost Willie...now you have Fergus and Findley. We can't get along without them! :-)

retired not tired said...

Loved your sunrise. Enjoy your new puppy.

TexWisGirl said...

can't wait to meet findley! :)

love the rural scene!

Cranberry Morning said...

Enjoy that new pup! I can see we think alike in the dog department. Lol

Ginny Hartzler said...

Ohhh, these beautiful sun rays shining on the cows!!! Exciting! The countdown begins, I can't wait to see his pictures!!

Tanya Breese said...

beautiful sunrise!! i bet fergus is equally as glad!

Gail Dixon said...

Awww...congrats on the new addition! Seinfeld and MASH were my favorites, with Seinfeld in the lead. Enjoyed reading your answers and getting to know you better. :)

Brian King said...

That is gorgeous! Love the cow silhouettes, too!

Bruce Clark said...

Great sunset shot

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good for you adopting the half brother! Fun times in store! Look forward to more doggy pictures.

Stephanie said...

Have fun with the new puppy! We naturally will want a photo of him when you're ready to show him off. :-))

Hootin Anni said...

Love the sunrise photo! Wow.

As for hodgepodge, I don't do it any longer. But enjoyed reading about the anticipation of your new buddy for Fergus.

Unknown said...

Roan,

Our last snail mail invitation was to a Halloween party. I like to RSVP early too, but with ranch life that is not always possible.

Something I don't like to waste, I'm quite conservative and try to use every last bit of everything. I would have to say food. Between the hens and barn cats we have little food tossed out.

It's hard when pets pass on. I'm glad you had a change of heart and got another dog or two. Enjoy them for the individuals they are and the smiles they bring you.